I can be the knife in your back
The noose around your neck
The bullet right through your skull
But I'd rather be the force of my spoken word
Let our voices form the weapons

11.21.2008

Songs to Scream at the Sun

when i look into the mirror i see:
a boy not a man,
the son of a father i refuse to understand,
the "brother" of a brother like a wound i neglect,
the coward of a sister with the world i forget,
the prodigal son.
but i am yet to return from a siege where i take refuge but want to watch burn,
your lover, your companion,
your champion, your friend,
forever by your side but not in the end.

the fortunate son who dwells in the city
with the poorest of the poor, still, i ask for your pity.

and while there's a man who sleeps on the ice-cold streets,
his godsend not in me, but in his cardboard: his sheets

yet

i still see the same son


Wow, just wow. I thought Razia's Shadow was album of the year, but I think I've been proved wrong. Have Heart's latest record absolutely just blew me away. I've just discovered this record after going on a hardcore binge. It was released back in July and I don't know why I did not listen to this sooner. Pat Flynn's vocals are just filled with raw emotion and passion. The intensity of his voice just left me awestruck. The final track is one of the most epic hardcore songs I've ever heard.
Definitely a song that would be surreal to be apart of at a show. The chanting to this song would ensue chaos. It seriously one of the most moving hardcore songs ever written. The album seems to have a common theme, which is is described here:

"Songs To Scream At The Sun is the coming of age story. It's about the growing process of a young kid shaking the chains of selfishness, but it's everything about what you lose and gain in that process of growing up.

-Pat Flynn

Start to finish, this record never ceased to impress me. Have Heart really is becoming one of my all time favorite hardcore bands, up there with Integrity and Converge. I really should have spent my Halloween at their show at Chain. I thought The Things We Carry was good, but IMO, HH have outdone themselves.