I can be the knife in your back
The noose around your neck
The bullet right through your skull
But I'd rather be the force of my spoken word
Let our voices form the weapons

12.10.2008

Top 15 Albums

This year is coming to a close, and pretty much everything I've been waiting for is out already. There's just so much good stuff it was hard to narrow down to 15, let alone originally 10.


15. Anathallo - "Canopy Glow"

The variety of instruments create a beautiful sound with such a laid back atmosphere. Perfect for rainy day drives or chill out Saturday mornings. Not as good as "Floating World", but still worth a listen.



14. Passion Pit - "Chunk of Change"

Very, very danceable. Really catchy songs, but it can be cheesy, which though it seems is what the aim for. Every song is listenable and has a part that just hooks you in. If you're down for dancing, fuck Lil' Wayne and blast this album.



13. City and Colour - "Bring Me Your Love"

First album I bought this year, and do not regret it. Dallas' voice sounds better than ever and his guitar playing is wonderful. Definitely worth a pick up if you have the chance.



12. Lights Out Asia - "Eyes Like Brontide"

Yet another one of my favorite post rock bands. They play my favorite type of post rock, the kind that relies a little more on electronics and drum beats. Very reminiscent of The Album Leaf and The American Dollar.



11. Carpathian - "Isolation"

One of the better hardcore records to come out this year. Carpathian has really matured music wise, as the musicianship is more tight, straying away from the chugga chugga tough guy hardcore band they used to be. Martin Kirby wrote some of my favorite lyrics, because hey, you can't go wrong if you have Joy Division influence, unless you are Interpol or She Wants Revenge of course.

10. Gregor Samsa - "Rest"

My favorite post rock band, behind Sigur Ros, releases another solid album. There's more piano involved with this record, and a change in sound from 55:12. This album is very soothing and is perfect for stress reduction. Beautiful melodies create for a nice walk outside on a cold winter night.



9. MGMT - "Oracular Spectacular"

One of the few bands that lived up to the surround hype. From indie rock, to funky bass lines to some electropoppish sounds, this album deserves the hype because of consistency of this record. There's song for everyone on this record, and personally, I'd get down to "Electric Feel". Plus, AVWG is pretty hot hahaha.



8. M83 - "Saturdays=Youth"

Love, love, love this album. I've had it on repeat when I first got it, and to me, this is M83's best album. A lot of the songs have an 80's like feel to it, which I am a sucker for. "Up", "We Own the Sky", and "Skin of the Night" are the stand outs to me.



7. Fear Before - "Fear Before"

This band continues progress more and more musically. Each album they create is always different sounding and this one is no exception. I don't think it's as good as TAOM, but overall still a great release from one of my favorite bands. I'm not a big fan of the name shortening though, but the reason why seemed, well, reasonable haha.



6. United Nations - "United Nations"

Good old fashioned 90's screamo/power violence. This super group consists of Ben Koller of Converge, Geoff Rickley of Thursday and Darryl Palumbo of Glassjaw, which automatically wins no matter what. Finally an attempt to revive this genre in this scene filled with mediocrity and falsely labeled "screamo" bands *cough*blessthefall**cough**Alesana**cough*. Let the chaos ensue once this record starts to play.



5. Sigur Ros - "Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust"

Sigur Ros does it again. This album sounds very different from their past work, as it is more folk influenced and a somewhat heavy reliance from the acoustic guitar. This album is poppier than usual, which could be a very bad or good thing depending on who you are. Very different from their old minimalist post rock sound, but still an amazing album, as seeing it live pretty much ranks as the greatest concert I've ever been too.



4. The American Dollar - "A Memory Stream"

My post rock release of the year. Basically what I named my blog after because the album was so good. Very relaxing, especially when driving in the rain, which I had first hand experience doing. The last half of "Anything You Synthesize" is just so beautifully epic, like the climax of a romantic movie scene. Their finest work today without a doubt.



3. Lydia - "Illuminate"

Leighton's voice is too beautiful to be human. This album is definitely one to play while getting laid. Seriously, the album really sounds sexy and seductive. I jizz my pants (fucking SNL) when Leighton says "I stole your soul" in "This is Twice Now". No Homo. Anyways, Mindy White's vocals also sound as good as she looks and Becky Filip also did the album art, which is definitely a plus.



2. Forgive Durden - "Razia's Shadow"

You saw this coming. I promoted the fuck out of this album, as seen in my earlier review of this album a month ago. I don't want to write about it all over again, but let's just leave it as the only reason I'll listen to Brendon Urie.



1. Have Heart - "Songs to Scream at the Sun"

Obvious if you've read my past blogs. The hardcore and overall best album release of the year for me. The first and last songs are some of the most epic hardcore songs ever recorded, up there with Dead Heart's "Dusk". Go pick up this album if you're a fan of real hardcore. I don't need to say more as I've all ready had a post dedicated to this album.

EDIT: I may have a new favorite album, which would have to be Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago." This man's voice just breaks my heart. I just want to sit on the beach in the middle of the night, smoking a cigar and think about my life while playing this in background.


Honorable Mentions:

The Evpatoria Report - "Maar"
The Carrier - "No Love Can Save Me"
This Town Needs Guns - "Animals"
Russian Circles - "Station"
Reign Supreme - "American Violence"
Santogold - "Santogold"
Shai Hulud - "Misanthropy Pure"
Jeniferever - "Nangijala"
Winds of Plague - "Decimate the Weak"
Late of the Pier - "Fantasy Black Channel"
Blacklisted - "Heavier than Heaven, Lonelier than God".


Biggest Disappointment:

1. The Sound of Animals Fighting - "The Ocean and the Sun"
I'm sorry, but my god this album sucked dick. Mr. Green, you're 0 for 2 this year.
2. Kings of Leon - "Only by the Night"
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, but, they turned out to be over-hyped and overrated.
"Surely, we can do better for the platonic ideal of a rock band than four guys gunning for a spot rightfully inhabited by My Morning Jacket but instead coming up with the best songs 3 Doors Down never wrote." - I LOL'd hard.